The 34 - 35th Day
October 1 it the National Day, celebrating the 56th anniversary of the People's Republic of China, therefore, millions of people are traveling around the city. With the past 2 days exploring the city, It's been great so far. Today we went to XIDAN, apparently the best market in Beijing. It was crazy- definetely the craziest market I have been to yet ( I know I say that about all of them but this takes the top) It was so loud in there I couldn't even hear my phone ring, or talk at a normal level with the shopkeepers. I had to yell to bargain.We are getting very tired of bargaining - you never know whether you are getting ripped off or not. So we have developed a new strategy of bargaining: " Listen, my friend just came in and got this for 40, so give it to me for 40 or I'm leaving"
XIDAN is located in the middle of "downtown" and it was so crowded. Every second somebody is bumping into you, or you are bumping into somebody - forget Tokyo and New York- Beijing is the crowded city. Even with the one child policy, this city is full of people. I really have no idea what they are going to do with the 2008 Olympics coming up...
Funny things seen today:
I saw a man sleeping on the overpass around 2:30
1 hour later he is still there
I watched a woman walk straight into a glass door


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home