The 30th Day
I consider myself a very environmentally conscious individual, and after working at Power Smart this past summer, even more so. Thus, one of the things that really bugs me about Beijing is their lack of recycling. Of course, being a developed country I understand, but it is difficult to change habits. So I started my own bottle and paper recycling bins; this crazy lady happily takes my bottles every morning and today I decided to go down to the main desk to give them my recycling. "Hi Paige! Here is my recycling!" "Recycling?.." She gives me the oddest look. "Yeah, you know recycling paper? To save trees??" I look up recycling in my Chinese dictionary and after reading it her face unfolds into understanding. "Oh yes! Recycling!" "So.....do you have a recycling bin?" "um...yes we do.... every week somebody comes to pick it up...." " Okay great! Here's my paper!" I hand over my bag of paper/newsprint and wait for her to put it in the box. I see no box yet. "So... somebody picks it every week?" "Yes Alice I'll take care of it." Hmm. So I walk away can't help but thinking she threw my "recycling" into the garbage. They seriously don't have any concept of the idea over here. I can't tell you how many times a day I see students throwing their bottles/paper into the garbage (roomate included!) It drives me crazy!Tonight was also the first night we made dinner! Colleen, Nick (from Boston), Myself and Colleen's language partner cooked steamed buns, assorted dumplings, corn on the cob, tomatoes, hot and sour soup-- and I found garlic bread on campus! But it's funny, it costs MUCH more to cook than to buy. I mean, my breakfast this morning was 60 cents! And I couldn't even finish it!
I also met some new Chinese guys that decided to give themselves English names. Are you ready? Rocky and Clark. After Rocky the boxer of course, and wanting to be Superman, the other named himself Clark as in Clark Kent. So together they are the tag team, Rocky and Superman. Also, my teacher's name is Happy!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home